Prawn and avocado cocktail with "Caviar of Kalix"
Kalix löjromscocktail med avokado och räkor i citrondressing
Kalix löjrom ("Caviar of Kalix") is a prized delicacy served at special occasions such as Nobel Banquets, Royal Weddings and at extravagant parties.
Kalix löjrom is often served as a topping for canapés, as a garnish for toast Skagen (prawns on toast) or as a starter with some finely chopped red onion, crème fraîche, lemon wedges and some good rye bread. Naturally, Kalix löjrom deserves to be accompanied by a good dry white wine, preferably champagne.
In this recipe I have paired the Kalix löjrom with prawns and avocado to make an elegant starter that can be prepared in advance. Absolutely gorgeous and ideal for any special occasion. Christer Frånlund
• If using frozen Kalix löjrom, allow it defrost slightly, remove what you need and then return the rest to the freezer for another time.
• Use the best hand-peeled prawns (shrimps) you can find.
|1 tbsp||lemon juice|
|2 tbsp||olive oil|
|salt and freshly ground white pepper|
|300 g||(10 oz)||freshly peeled prawns (shrimps)|
|100 g||(3½ oz)||Kalix löjrom|
|½ tbsp||finely chopped red onion or chives|
1. Make a dressing by lightly whisking the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together with a fork.
2. Halve the avocados and remove the flesh with a melon ball scoop.
3. Mix the avocado and prawns together. Pour over the dressing and gently toss to ensure that the avocado is coated in dressing.
4. Divide the mixture between four dishes and top each dish with a portion of Kalix löjrom.
5. Garnish with finely chopped red onion, a little white pepper, lemon wedges and a sprig of dill.
SwedishFood.com is run by a not-for-profit company set up to help English speakers around the world who would like to learn more about Swedish food. If you like the site please help us to promote it and bring Swedish food to a bigger audience by following us on:
Editor and Founder