Crispy baked asparagus
Krispigt bakad sparris
Krispigt bakad sparris med Västerbottensost (crispy baked asparagus with cheese from Västerbotten, in northern Sweden) makes a wonderful starter, tapas or addition to a buffet. John Duxbury
• This recipe works best with Panko breadcrumbs as they are nice and crunchy. They are popular in Japanese cuisine and are widely available in Europe, Australia and America, usually alongside other Japanese ingredients.
• Serve the asparagus with some delicious homemade lemon mayonnaise. For our recipe click here.
• If you have any leftovers, the spears can be gently reheated: 10 minutes at 140°C (290°F, gas 1, fan 140°C).
• If you can’t find any Västerbottensost you can use Parmesan cheese instead.
|450 g||(1 lb)||green asparagus (untrimmed weight)|
|50 g||(¾ cup)||good quality breadcrumbs|
|25 g||(¼ cup)||Västerbottensost, freshly grated|
|freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|2 tbsp||plain (all-purpose) flour|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|120 g||(½ cup)||good quality mayonnaise, plain or lemony|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas 6, fan 180°C).
2. Break the woody ends off the asparagus and discard (or keep for making soup). They should snap easily at the end of the woody part. Rinse them thoroughly to remove any grit and to ensure that spears are wet, so that the coating will stick to the spears.
3. Sprinkle the flour on to one plate, add the lightly beaten egg on another plate (or a flat-bottomed bowl) and mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and some freshly ground black pepper on a third plate.
4. Toss the asparagus spears in the flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Spread them out in a single layer on a wire rack on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve with a generous portion of good quality mayonnaise, either plain or lemon. Absolutely delicious!
SwedishFood.com is run by a not-for-profit company set up to help English speakers around the world who would like to learn more about Swedish food. If you like the site please help us to promote it and bring Swedish food to a bigger audience by following us on:
Editor and Founder